Weather Icon

Animal Control



Whether you're new to our city or a lifelong resident, we hope you are as happy with our little town as we are. This page is written in an effort to educate pet owners about our ordinances as they pertain to animals within the city and direct you toward information or agencies that may be helpful. 

Not all regulations will be listed; for more information, please find the full ordinance available upon request at City Hall or on our website. Please let us know if you have any questions. It is our hope that these regulations will create an environment in which all of our residents, as well as their pets, can live together harmoniously.


The City of Montevallo requires all dogs and cats to be licensed. Alabama law (Code of Alabama 1975 3-7A-2) requires that all owned dogs, cats, and ferrets be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian with an approved vaccine. You should first have the rabies shot administed, and then bring the certificate of vaccination to City Hall to purchase your registration. You are required to bring the certificate of a rabies vaccination and purchase a new city registration each year.

Licensing Costs

Spayed female or neutered male: $5

Intact male or female: $10

Animal Care

Animals housed outside must have access to food, water, and appropriate shelter. If they're outside of the house/fence, it must be under the control of the owner and abiding by Montevallo's leash law. 

Leash Law

For the safety and welfare of all of our citizens, we require that animals be restrained at all times, either by leash, cord, fence, or enclosure of sufficient strength to contain the animal. Animals in automobiles must be physically confined to the vehicle. Animals not contained in the aforementioned manner shall be considered "running at large." Animals found to be running at large may be picked up by Animal Control, impounded and and/or a citation issued for the violation. This applies to dogs and cats. 

Impounded Animals

Should your pet be impounded by Animal Control, it will be taken to the Shelby Humane Society. The Shelby County Humane Society is located at 381 McDow Road, Columbiana, AL 35051.

Be a Good Neighbor

Always being aware of the effect your pet has on your neighbors will go a long way toward a good relationship between you both. Excessive barking and offensive odors are two examples of complaints we regularly receive that are both preventable.


Kirk Hamby

Director of Public Works

Phone: 205-337-9222

Police Department

Phone: 205-665-1264